Building a smart home in 2023 has never been easier, more convenient, or more accessible.
This is the first of the many weekly posts we’ll be publishing regarding smart home technology and how to enhance your traditional home. In each episode, we’ll pick a category of smart home appliances and discuss a list of the best gadgets within that category that you can buy to enhance your home and make your living space better and more comfortable.
With the advent of new technologies and advancements in the Internet of Things (IoT) space, it’s now possible for anyone to turn their current traditional home into a fully automated, efficient, and intelligent space.
The term “Smart” has been thrown around quite a lot lately as it’s now regularly attached to nearly everything from fans to plugs, sockets, and even vacuum cleaners.
- Advertisement -
But if you ever wonder how the term can apply to your own living space as well, well, it’s not as complicated as it sounds.
Simply put, a smart home is a residence equipped with devices and appliances that are connected to the internet and can be controlled remotely. That’s it.
So as a homeowner, you can access and control different appliances in your home such as the heating system, lighting devices, security systems, and more, all from the convenience of your smartphone or tablet no matter where you are.
It’s 2023 and it’s never too late to start on your own smart home transition as well especially since it offers all the interesting quirks that make life extremely easy for you.
The fact that you can have an automated vacuum cleaner that cleans your apartment and never misses its schedule will certainly ease that duty while you can focus on other important things that matter more to you like your job or being with your loved ones even more.
Another advantage of a smart home is the increased energy efficiency it provides. By controlling your home’s lighting, heating, and cooling systems remotely, you can ensure that you’re only using the energy resources that you need and when you need them. This not only saves you money on your utility bills but also reduces your carbon footprint and helps the environment.
Of course, one of the most significant advantages of building a smart home is the increased security it provides.
There are in fact smart technologies that can be used to monitor your home and its vicinities within your comfort zone. There are smart cameras, smart door locks, motion sensors, and so forth.
You can even view live footage of your home from your smartphone no matter where you are across the globe so far you have internet access on your smartphone.
But what exactly does it take to build a smart home in 2023? The first step is to identify what devices and systems you want to automate. This could include everything from your lighting and heating systems to your home entertainment system and security cameras.
You’ll then be needing to invest in the necessary hardware and software services to make your smart home a reality.
Nowadays, almost all the top tech companies across the globe are now investing heavily in building IoTs with the likes of Amazon Echo smart home hub being the most popular. With the device, you can connect it to a plethora of other smart home devices including smart bulbs, smart TVs, and so forth. Apple Homekit is another solution for those in the Apple ecosystem or Google Home for Android users.
Once you’ve purchased your hardware, the next step is to set up your smart home devices and connect them to your home network. This can be done through a smartphone app or a web-based dashboard, depending on the devices you’ve chosen.
Finally, you’ll want to customize your smart home to fit your lifestyle and needs. This could include setting up custom voice commands for your smart speaker, creating schedules for your lighting and heating systems, or setting up rules for your security cameras and door locks.
While everything seems easy and serene, one of the biggest challenges in the new connected technologies out there is privacy and security.
Many companies like Ring have been accused of sending home footage to the police without the consent of the homeowner. So issues such as security breaches and data theft are of utmost concern.
However, it is very important to choose an accountable brand that is also reputable in the industry as well as following their best practices in order to comply with their security measures for safety.
Another challenge is the cost of building a smart home. While prices for smart home devices have come down in recent years, building a fully automated home can still be a significant investment. It’s important to create a budget and prioritize the devices and systems that are most important to you.
Despite these challenges, building a smart home in 2023 is a worthwhile investment that can provide significant benefits. From increased convenience and energy efficiency to enhanced security giving you the peace of mind that you crave.
Importance of rigging your conventional homes with smart appliances
There are several compelling reasons why you should consider rigging your conventional home with smart appliances and turning it into a smart home. Here are some of the most important benefits to start off
- Increased Convenience: Smart homes offer the ultimate convenience by automating tasks that would otherwise require manual intervention. With smart appliances, you can control various devices from your smartphone or tablet, and automate tasks such as turning on lights, adjusting thermostats, and even opening or closing blinds.
- Energy Efficiency: Smart homes are designed to be energy-efficient, which means they can save you a lot of money on your utility bills over time. For example, smart thermostats can learn your temperature preferences and adjust your HVAC system accordingly, which can help you save money on heating and cooling costs.
- Improved Home Security: Smart home security gizmos also offer improved security features. With smart cameras, doorbells, and locks, you can monitor your home and keep an eye on who comes and goes. You can also receive alerts on your smartphone if there is any suspicious activity, allowing you to take immediate action if necessary.
- Increased Resale Value: Turning your home into a smart home can increase its resale value, as many homebuyers are now looking for properties with smart features. By adding smart appliances and features, you can make your home more attractive to potential buyers, which could result in a higher selling price.
- Better Quality of Life: Smart homes can also improve your overall quality of life by making your daily routines easier and more enjoyable. With features such as voice-controlled assistants, automated lighting, and entertainment systems, you can enjoy a more comfortable and relaxing home environment.
There are just numerous benefits to rigging your conventional home with smart appliances and turning it into a smart home in 2023.
From increased convenience and energy efficiency to improved home security and increased resale value, the advantages of smart homes are clear.
Best Smart Home Appliances to try in 2023
There are a plethora of smart home appliances available today that can improve the standard of living in your home and make it a smart place. Here is a TL;DR list of some of the best smart home appliances you can buy today:
- Smart Thermostats: Smart thermostats can help you save money on heating and cooling bills by learning your temperature preferences and adjusting your HVAC system accordingly. Some popular options include the Nest Learning Thermostat, Ecobee SmartThermostat, and Honeywell Home T9.
- Smart Lighting: Smart lighting allows you to control the brightness and color of your lights using your smartphone or voice commands. Popular options include Philips Hue and LIFX but there are other alternatives discussed below.
- Smart Plugs: Smart plugs can turn any device into a smart device by allowing you to control it remotely. You can use them to turn off appliances that are not in use or schedule them to turn on at specific times. Some popular options include the TP-Link Kasa and Wemo Mini Smart Plug.
- Smart Locks: Smart locks allow you to control who enters your home and when. You can access your space via your smartphone, fingerprint, or voice commands. Some popular options include the August Smart Lock and the Yale Assure Lock.
- Smart Cameras: Smart cameras allow you to monitor your home from anywhere using your smartphone. Some popular options include the Nest Cam and the Arlo Pro.
- Smart Doorbells: Smart doorbells allow you to see and speak to anyone who comes to your door, even when you’re not at home. Some popular options include the Ring Video Doorbell and the Nest Hello.
- Smart Speakers: Smart speakers allow you to control your smart home devices using your voice. Some popular options include the Amazon Echo and Google Nest Hub.
- Smart TVs: Smart TVs allow you to stream your favorite shows and movies directly from the internet. Some popular options include the Samsung QLED TV and the LG OLED TV.
- Smart Kitchen Appliances: Smart kitchen appliances like refrigerators, ovens, and dishwashers can help you save time and energy. Some popular options include the Samsung Family Hub Refrigerator and the Bosch 800 Series Dishwasher.
- Smart Home Security Systems: Smart home security systems allow you to monitor your home for intruders and other emergencies using your smartphone. Some popular options include the SimpliSafe Home Security System and the ADT Pulse.
The options are limitless and even though you don’t have to buy every single one of these products as they cost quite a bit, it’s essential to know that the possibility of advancing your livelihood with smart devices is limitless.
As mentioned above, this is a series of posts where we’ll discuss everything regarding building a smart home, the best devices and appliances you need to make your smart home experience interesting, and the cost of fine-tuning your smart home in 2023
Remember to subscribe to our newsletter to keep up with this weekly update. Catch you on the next episode.
You must be logged in to post a comment.