This might not be good news for OnePlus as the newly announced Nord 2 5G allegedly exploded in the sling bag of a woman in Bengaluru on Sunday with the spouse of the affected customer making the incident public on Twitter. The tweet was later taken down soon afterwards but things have gone farther than he had probably expected.
OnePlus has reportedly reached out to the affected customer to investigate the incident but we wouldn’t know if the accident was the fault of the user of the device’s battery.
This won’t be the first time that a smartphone will catch fire however a consistent incident can lead to a recall just like Samsung did with the Note 7 back in 2016.
The Twitter user who goes by the name Ankur Sharma made the report of the exploded OnePlus Nord 2 5G which reportedly took place on Sunday when his wife was out cycling with the smartphone in her sling bag.
“All of a sudden [the] phone blasted and smoke started coming out of it. Due to this blast, she met with an accident,” the user said in a tweet that he pulled later but its cached version was available at the time of filing this story. He also posted three photos purportedly showing the exploded OnePlus Nord 2 5G.
However, the OnePlus official Twitter page responded to his tweet and requested that he communicate his issues with the company directly over a DM.
Whether there was any resolution between both parties is yet to be known and efforts to reach Sharma to know whether OnePlus did in fact reach out to him was negative.
In an emailed statement to Gadgets 360, a OnePlus spokesperson said that it was currently investigating the issue. “We take such incidents seriously. Our team has already reached out to the user and is investigating this further,” the spokesperson said.
Gadgets 360 sent a couple of follow-up questions to the company asking whether prima facie evidence suggested the issue happened due to inappropriate usage or because of a manufacturing defect and whether the company asked the user to pull the tweet posted by the spouse of the user. The spokesperson, however, didn’t respond until the time of publishing.
OnePlus Nord 2 5G was announced just this past month and went on sale last week in the Indian market with some cool specifications over the previous OnePlus Nord released a year prior.
These upgrades include a better 4,500mAh battery with a 65 Warp Charge ultra-fast charging capacity. It also uses the MediaTek Dimensity chipset instead of Qualcomm’s Snapdragon SoC.
OnePlus however sent a statement later on where the company made it known that “We reached out to the concerned user immediately after hearing about this incident and initiated a thorough internal investigation. The results indicate that the damage to this device was caused by an isolated incident involving external factors and not due to any manufacturing or product issue. However, we remain in close touch with this user and have offered our support to address their concerns and ensure their wellbeing.” The full statement is at the end of this article.
“Our top priority is the health and safety of our customers. We reached out to the concerned user immediately after hearing about this incident and initiated a thorough internal investigation. The results indicate that the damage to this device was caused by an isolated incident involving external factors and not due to any manufacturing or product issue. However, we remain in close touch with this user and have offered our support to address their concerns and ensure their wellbeing.
We would like to assure our customers that our products undergo thorough quality and safety tests, including various levels of pressure and impact tests, to ensure they are up to industry-leading standards and remain safe to use.”