One prominent aspect the ASUS ROG Phone 2 excels is that it’s a really powerful gaming smartphone with really interesting hardware specifications which are sincerely top-notch considering their price point. With improved hardware and more durability, this a truly game-oriented device anyone who sincerely wants to experience true gaming experience should try acquiring.
Because the ROG Phone II is a powerful gaming smartphone, it might be a good idea to root the device for more game-related MOD with which you have a more personalized experience and even make the device yours.
What is Smartphone Rooting by the way? this according to Wikipedia is the process of allowing users of smartphones, tablets and other devices running the Android mobile operating system to attain privileged control (known as root access) over various Android subsystems…I don’t know of that makes any sense to you. Okay in simple term, Rooting is the act of gaining some super-administrative control over your device’s hardware and software core so you can be able to have access to it. You can learn more by doing a little bit of a Google search.
Okay that said, the ASUS ROG Phone II is a really interesting smartphone with interesting specifications that makes it the kind of smartphone anyone who wants a true gaming smartphone to possess. The device possess the powerful Snapdragon 855+ chipset and that is coupled with an Octa-core processor and Adreno 640 GPU which boosts its gaming experience. The smartphone features an 8GB/12GB RAM and UFS 3.0 storage options of 128GB/256GB/512GB/1TB.
Elsewhere, the ASUS ROG Phone II has a dual rear camera setup which includes a 48MP primary sensor and then couple with a 13MP ultra-wide angle lens. As for the front facing selfie cam, it’s a 24MP sensor which can be used for video calling and so forth.
The display of the device is a 6.59-inch ANOLED panel with a massive 120Hz refresh rate. I mean guys, you can only have that experience on high-performing smartphones and the fact that this smartphone was released last year means ASUS was really up to something if you think about it. Even the overtly expensive iPhone 11 doesn’t have this capacity.
Okay enough of the hype, other interesting features of the display includes the resolution which is a 1080 x 2340 pixels that has a 19.5:9 aspect ratio with 391 PPI and protected with a Corning Gorilla Glass 6. There also is a DTS:X stereo speaker which has two dedicated amplifiers that gives it interesting audio quality at best. It’s 3.5mm jack packs DTS Headphone X technology to give a magnificent sound effect.
Powering the ASUS ROG Phone II up is a 6000 mAh Li-Po batetry with 20W fast charging support. I mean this a 2019 smartphone okay. It ven support a 10W reverse wireless charging and the Matte black color is definitely my favorite but if you’re unlike me, you can easily go for the glossy black instead.
Okay that said, here is the elephant in the room, The term “Rooting” had been associated with getting smartphones ruined or damaging their components etc. Anyway, it might not really be a natural thing to do to your smartphone and would require proceeding with caution at this point and so if you really want to do this, then you should be ready for whatever consequence that come with it.
How to unlock your ROG Phone II
- First thing is to keep your smartphone battery up just in case.
- You also want to backup your essential data just in case of data loss due to formatting as a result.
- Make sure to get your PC and USB cable ready
- The download and extract ADB and Fastboot Drivers
- Next is to download ROG Phone 2 unlock Utility
These are the steps to Unlock the ROG Phone II Bootloader
- Enable Developer Option by going to Settings> About Phone > and then click on MiUI Version 7 times
- Next is to enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlock by going to Settings > Developer Option > Enable OEM Unlock and USB Debugging
- Then install the ROG Phone II Unlock Utility on your device. (This time, you need to enable the install from an Unknown source from Security settings)
- Next Open the app and follow the On-Screen instructions which can take up to 10 minutes
- If all is done the right way, you should now your ASUS ROG Phone II unocked.
Next is to install TWRP on ROG Phone II
There is the TWRP – Team Win Recovery Project which is basically a custom recovery for Android devices. The custom recovery opens doors for various customization options such as the installation of third-party mods, custom ROMs, allows instant backups and much more.
It is a single-window solution for a lot of tasks. The TWRP helps to install Magisk and SuperSU to attain root privileges on Android smartphones. It is a door to the installation of different frameworks, MODs, and other stuff.
With that said, you should also note there are some disadvantages of using custom recovery and you need to install an OTA update manually meanwhile, your smartphone warranty will void right after the installation of the TWRP recovery and then the unstable version of the Custom ROM can then brick your phone. Just in case this is becoming too technical for you, you might want to consider having someone who knows how beside you, else proceed with caution okay the ASUS ROG Phone II is too nice to be blown out.
- Okay first thing is to download all the USB drivers from the prerequisite section and then
- Proceed to backing up your smartphone and ensure an above average battery percentage
- Next thing is to download the TWRP Recovery 3.2.3
- Install TWRP on your ROG Phone II
- Remember the Step 1 & 2 about the Bootloader unlock section, follow that step
- Extract ADB and Fastboot tools then place the TWRP Recovery right in the same folder after renaming it to twrp.img
- Next is t connect your smartphone to your PC via USB Cable
- Next is to enter a command [adb reboot bootloader] to reboot your smartphone into the bootloader mode
- After booting into Bootloader mode, then type in [fastboot flash recovery twrp.img] command to flash TWRP on your device.
- Next thing is to reboot the device by typing the command [fastboot reboot]
If all go well, you should now have successfully installed the recovery on Asus ROG Phone II. AT this time, if your smartphone is still functional, then you’re quite doing fine. The next guide below takes you to the final destination which is Rooting your ROG Phone II.
- First thing first, ensure you back up necessary data just in case things go south
- Next is to ensure a good battery percentage usually above 50%
- Next is to Download the Magisk Manager on your phone
- Turn off your smartphone and then Boot into Recovery mode by pressing Volume Down + Power Button until you see the Boot animation
- Once in TWRP, click on Install > Browser the Magsik.zip on your phone and select it
- Next click on Swipe to confirm flash
Now your device will reboot and rooted if you did follow all the guide from above, then this last stage should be a piece of cake for you. Meanwhile, let’s know your thoughts in the comment section below if you’ve successfully rooted your ASUS ROG Phone II using this guide, we’ll be glad to hear and if you have a better and faster way of going about it as well, please do well to drop your comment in the section below.