NASA and SpaceX are planning to make history but there has too be a little bit of a delay to how soon the history can be made because the weather isn’t favorable to the operation and so precaution needs to be taken which is leading to delays in the launching of the Falcon and Crew Dragon which is heading to the Internation Space Station with two astronauts onboard.
Hans Koenigsmann, a vice president at SpaceX said earlier this week that preparations were complete but getting the falcon 9 rocket off the US soil here on planet earth, the team would need “the weather god” to be on their side. But it’s like the weather god had other plans for today at least. So the Demo-2 mission is rescheduled to Saturday May 30th at 3:23PM ET.
"We are not going to launch today."— NASA (@NASA) May 27, 2020
Due to the weather conditions, the launch is scrubbing. Our next opportunity will be Saturday, May 30 at 3:22pm ET. Live #LaunchAmerica coverage will begin at 11am ET. pic.twitter.com/c7R1AmLLYh
The Demo-2 had been down to about 17 minutes before launch when SpaceX and NASA officials had to call it off with hundreds of thousands across the globe patiently watching to see the historic moment.
“We did have to scrub because of [the] weather,” the SpaceX team announced during its live webcast. “To be more specific we were still in violation of one of the weather criterias: the strength of electric fields in the atmosphere.”
“We needed a little bit more time if we were going to clear that launch weather constraint.” They added. And with that said, we’ll have to calm off for a couple of days and anticipate to see how things will be.
There are two backup launch times available over the weekend. SpaceX has said the next window opens at 12:22 p.m. PT (3:22 p.m. ET) on Saturday, May 30, and a subsequent window will open at 12 p.m. PT (3 p.m. ET) on Sunday, May 31.