The convenience afforded by the smartphone has made it so important in every facet of our lives in this day and age.
Android-based devices are especially popular because they come in various shapes and price points. But even at that, they offer a wide range of hardware compatibility that makes them good for a healthy lifestyle.
In today’s post, I’ll be talking about the top 10 health tracking applications that you can install on your Android smartphone today to monitor every facet of your health including your sleep, food intake, calories count, step count, heart rate count, and even breath pattern counter.
These all-in-one apps do not necessarily require you to purchase additional fitness devices such as smartwatches or fitness trackers as they can utilize several existing hardware on your Android devices such as the gyroscope and the rear camera system.
But before I outline each of these applications, it’ll be ideal to first talk about the importance of keeping your health in check at all times and why you need to track your fitness and general health status.
The essence of good health
We all know that good health is essential for a happy and fulfilling life. However, with our busy lifestyles and hectic schedules, it can be easy to neglect our health and put it on the back burner.
We often get caught up in work, family, and other responsibilities, leaving little time for exercise and proper nutrition.
But here’s the thing: taking care of your health should be a top priority. It’s not just about looking good or feeling good; it’s about preventing chronic diseases, improving mental health, and increasing your overall quality of life.
One way to keep track of your health is by monitoring your fitness and health status regularly and you can do so via a device that you’re accustomed to most of the time.
This can include keeping track of your weight, measuring your blood pressure, monitoring your cholesterol levels, and getting regular check-ups with your doctor.
By tracking these metrics, you can catch any potential health issues early on and take action before they become serious. Plus, tracking your progress can also help you stay motivated and make lifestyle changes that will improve your overall health.
In addition to physical health, it’s also important to take care of your mental health. This can include practicing mindfulness, getting enough sleep, and managing stress levels. By taking care of your mental
Best Health Tracking Apps for Android Smartphones
On my shortlist are 10 successful applications that are certainly amazing in helping to track the most important aspect of your health such as your sleep patterns, rehydration, step tracking, heart rate pattern, and even breathing pattern.
Although these applications are good at what they do, they can’t be a direct substitute for real medical devices which are built with hardware and software specifically for health-tracking tasks.
Best overall fitness app for Android
Best native health monitoring app
Fitness tracking app
Popular fitness tracking company
Free fitness app for Android
Health tracking app
Fitness monitor and registry
Google Fit is a health and fitness tracking app developed by Google for Android users. The app allows users to track their daily activity, including steps taken, distance traveled, calories burned, and heart rate.
The advantages of the Google Fit app include its ease of use and integration with other Google services, such as Google Calendar and Google Maps. The app also allows for tracking a variety of activities, including running, walking, cycling, and strength training.
Disadvantages of the Google Fit app include its limited functionality compared to other fitness tracking apps, such as Fitbit and Apple Health which is its main rival for iOS-based devices.
Despite its limitations, the Google Fit app is a good option for users who are looking for a simple and free way to track their fitness goals. Its integration with other Google services and wide range of activity tracking options make it a convenient and useful tool for anyone who wants to stay active and healthy.
Pros of the Google Fit app
- Ability to track your heart rate by utilizing your Android phone’s camera and its flashlight.
- Integrates with another plethora of Google applications as well as third-party apps to store your fitness and health history in the cloud for easy access in the future.
- Simplified user interface with straightforward tasks to keep up with your day-to-day health updates.
- It’s 100% free. No hidden costs or annoying ads are popping out everywhere disturbing your experience.
Pros of the Google Fit app
- Although simple, there are in fact some features you’d hope for but missing such as a calories counter
- You can’t track your sleep using the app as well as there is no entry for it.
Samsung Health App
Sitting in the second position is the Samsung Health app which is one of the best health apps out there. Don’t get it twisted that it has the “Samsung” label on it as it’s available on all platforms (Android and iOS) so it’s not limited to just the Galaxy smartphones alone.
The app is free to install and there are some features that might require you to pay a premium subscription fee in order to access them such as workouts.
You can also track other daily lifestyle activities such as your food and water intake, sleep patterns, heart rate, and other health metrics. The app comes pre-installed on most Samsung devices and can also be downloaded from the Google Play Store (and Apple’s app store).
Some of the quirks of this application include its comprehensive tracking capabilities as well as integration with other fitness devices and applications from both Samsung and third-party makers.
You can set daily fitness goals and you can connect with friends and family for accountability and motivation all on a single application.
However, some disadvantages of the Samsung Health app include occasional syncing issues, limited compatibility with non-Samsung devices, and a relatively small selection of workout programs and exercises.
Pros of the Samsung Health app
- Cross-platform but also has seamless integration with all Galaxy smartphones’ hardware and software.
- Ability to track your calories, sleep patterns, steps, and other relevant daily healthy routines to enhance a healthy lifestyle.
- Intuitive user interface and ability to join online workout sections tailored to your needs
- The application is completely free despite the immense list of features it offers
Cons of the Samsung Health app
- The Samsung brand makes it confusing to many as to whether its a Samsung device-only app or cross-platform
- Can’t check our heartbeat rate using the app which defeats the purpose of trying to use a single app rather than multiple apps for the same thing
Strava is definitely one of the most popular health-tracking applications out there for Android users allowing them to track and analyze their workout plans, connect with friends, and join communities of athletes across the globe.
With Strava, users can track their runs, rides, and other workouts using GPS technology baked into most Androd-ased devices today. You also get to record your progress over time and compete with others to stay motivated.
One of the key features of Strava is its social component, which lets you connect with friends and join clubs to stay motivated and inspired. You can share your workouts with others, comment on others’ activities, and give and receive kudos for a job well done.
In addition to its social features, Strava also offers advanced analytics and training tools to help you reach your fitness goals. These include custom training plans, personalized workout suggestions, and detailed performance analyses based on your data.
Overall, anyone looking for a comprehensive, social, and data-driven fitness tracking app should consider downloading Strava as their primary health app in 2023 on their Android smartphone. With its advanced features and vibrant community, it’s an excellent choice for athletes of all levels.
Pros of Strava
- It adds social elements to fitness tracking
- Offers comprehensive tracking capabilities
- Have a healthy competition with friends
- Integrates seamlessly with other devices
Cons of Strava
- Privacy concerns are its biggest cons
- Sometimes, results might not be accurate
- Some users have reported finding Strava’s user interface to be complex and difficult to navigate.
- And it potentially drains your device’s battery quicker
Fitbit Fitness App
Fitbit is a known brand that makes fitness tracking devices and smartwatches but they also make a fitness app for tracking your health status and keeping up with your healthcare routines.
Their mobile fitness app for Android is pretty popular among fitness enthusiasts. Using the app, you can do things such as track their physical activity, sleep, and overall health. The app allows you to set goals, track progress, and receive insights and personalized recommendations based on your activity data.
In 2023, downloading the Fitbit health app as your primary fitness tracking application could be beneficial for several reasons. Firstly, the app provides a comprehensive and easy-to-use interface that can track a wide range of physical activities, including walking, running, swimming, cycling, and more.
Secondly, the app also provides features to track nutrition, hydration, and weight management, making it an all-in-one health-tracking solution.
Lastly, Fitbit’s large user community, challenges, and rewards programs can offer extra motivation to help you stay active and achieve your fitness goals.
Pros of Fitbit
- Offers strong and comprehensive tracking capabilities
- Easy to personalize the experience to suit your goals and plans
- The app also offers some sociable features thanks to its large community
Cons of Fitbit
- After Google purchased the company, many users have had trust issues with the app
- It’s not entirely free especially if you want personalized training and supports
Apart from taking a great care of your body, you also need to take good care of your mental health which is where Headspace comes in.
In short, this is a mindfulness and meditation app that offers guided meditation sessions and other mental health resources.
It has a variety of features designed to help you develop a daily meditation practice and improve your overall well-being. Some of the key features of the app include guided meditations, sleep sounds, and exercises to help with stress and anxiety.
In addition to these features, Headspace offers a number of fitness-related resources too such as workouts and exercise plans. These resources are designed to help you stay active and healthy, while also reducing stress and improving mental clarity.
As mentioned earlier, there is a need to take great care of your mental health and Headspace is the app that can help you get this done.
Pros of Headspace
- It gives you access to a wide variety of guided meditations, sleep sounds, and other mindfulness resources.
- Offers a unique approach to fitness tracking that prioritizes mental and emotional well-being, as well as physical health.
- Provides personalized recommendations based on user preferences and goals.
- User-friendly interface and easy-to-navigate menus.
- Has the potential to help users reduce stress and improve mental clarity, which can have a positive impact on overall health and wellness.
Cons of Headspace
- Not entirely free for all service offerings
- Unless you are meditation-focused, the app might not be for you.
MyFitnessPal is a health and fitness app that helps users track their calorie intake, exercise, and other health-related metrics.
You get access to a database of foods, allowing you to easily log what you eat and keep track of your daily calorie intake. Additionally, yous can connect with friends and join groups to stay motivated and accountable.
There are several reasons why you might want to consider MyFitnessPal, one of which is the app’s user-friendly and easy-to-navigate interface, making it a great option for beginners.
Secondly, the app offers a wide range of features, such as the ability to track macros, set goals, and view progress over time.
Thirdly, MyFitnessPal integrates with a variety of other fitness apps and devices, making it easy to sync data and get a more comprehensive view of your health and fitness.
Pros of MyFitnessPal
- A comprehensive database of foods and exercises.
- Easy-to-use interface and user-friendly design.
- The ability to track calories and other nutritional information.
- The app offers features such as setting goals, tracking progress, and connecting with friends.
- Integration with other fitness apps and devices.
- Offers personalized recommendations based on user data and preferences.
Cons of MyFitnessPal
- The free version is ad-ridden and has annoying pop-ups
- There are somewhat buggy experiences such as difficulties logging food (hopefully it get fixed in the next update)
Last but not least is Hevy, a fitness logging application. Whether you are new to fitness or you’re a long-term guru who simply wants a way by which you can easily track your progress, this app is your best bet.
With Hevy, you can set goals, track workouts, and monitor your progress as mentioned earlier in order to see how far good you are doing.
The app also offers a variety of features, including customizable workout plans, calorie and macro tracking, and a social community for motivation and support.
One of the key benefits of Hevy is its user-friendly interface, making it easy for beginners and experienced fitness enthusiasts alike to use. The app also integrates with a range of other fitness apps and wearable devices, making it easy to import data and track progress across different platforms.
In 2023, anyone looking for a comprehensive and customizable fitness-tracking app should consider downloading Hevy. Its range of features and ease of use make it a top choice for those looking to achieve their fitness goals and stay motivated along the way.
Pros of Hevy
- Customizable workout plans that cater to different fitness levels and goals.
- Calorie and macro tracking features
- User-friendly interface that’s easy to navigate.
- Integration with a range of other fitness apps and wearable devices.
- A wide variety of exercises and workouts to choose from.
Cons of Hevy
- Not entirely free as well
- Few glitches here and there but can be fixed with a software update
Google Fit and Samsung Health are my top two options because of their reach. While Fitbit is very popular, especially among fitness enthusiasts, Google’s involvement in the fitness market is really unique and helpful which is why I’d rate the aforementioned apps above others on my list.
Headspace took a unique approach by combining mindfulness and meditation practices with fitness tracking, while Hevy is a comprehensive app that offers customizable workout plans and a social community for motivation and support.
Strava too is a popular option for runners and cyclists, with features like route tracking and leaderboards. Finally, MyFitnessPal is a great app for users who want to focus on nutrition, with a large database of foods and a calorie-tracking feature.
When choosing a fitness-tracking app, it’s important to consider your goals and preferences.
Some users may prefer a simple, streamlined app, while others may want a more comprehensive tool with customizable workout plans and community features. It’s also worth considering whether you already use other fitness apps or wearable devices, some of the aforementioned apps may integrate more easily with your existing setup.
Overall, with the variety of options available, as an Android user, you should be able to find a fitness tracking app from any of the above lists to meet your needs and helps you achieve your fitness goals in 2023.